What is CBT-Fit?
CBT-Fit is a form of psycho-fit-therapy that modifies the connections between a persons thoughts, feelings, and behaviours, in connection to health and fitness. By challenging unbalanced beliefs and attitudes, CBT-Fit empowers people to break negative patterns of behaviour. The individual is the focal point and CBT-Fit helps build self-awareness, particularly with unhelpful thinking patterns.
Unlike other forms of psychotherapy, CBT-Fit concentrates on solutions rather than just an individual’s past experiences. Additionally, it trains people to be their own coach/therapist, which is why it is known as a practical approach to mental and physical wellness that can be used to treat a wide range of issues. Whether a problem is minor, such as a bad habit of nibbling food, or more severe, like being unable to sleep or binge eating, CBT-Fit can help target the cognitive patterns causing the problem.
- Changing your perspective. CBT-Fit actively targets an individuals core beliefs and attitudes about the world. By challenging negative thought patterns, CBT-Fit helps individuals gain control over their conscious thoughts that influence their behaviours and improve their outlook.
- Learn skills for coping. Building self awareness helps individuals learn better ways to cope, communicate, and recover when dealing with emotional or stressful situations. The skills learned in the present can help with challenges in the future.
- Stress and anxiety reduction. It’s completely normal to be stressed if you’re late to work, forget your prepped food, or have no time to get in a full workout at the gym. But believing you’re a bad person because you’re late/forgetful/or ran out of time would indicate a cognitive distortion. CBT-Fit can help you identify and modify these distortions that cause you distress.
- Better sleep. For those who can’t clock in the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep each night, CBT-Fit could be a helpful solution. A 2006 study published in the Journal of Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics was able to conclude, “CBT had a long-term effect of improved sleep-related psychological activity and daytime functioning.”
- Creating more positive emotions. CBT-Fit uses an “upward arrow” approach. Instead of just looking at what is wrong, CBT-Fit helps you focus on the positive and reactions, while finding new possibilities.
- Being more engaged. The results of CBT-Fit are sustainable and long lasting in part because CBT-Fit focuses on the social support network. Therefore, any habits or actions that allow individuals to feel more engaged whether they’re at work, at home, at the gym or with family and friends, are strongly encouraged.
- Linking positive actions. Identifying strengths also helps identify positive behaviors. Individuals can get introduced and motivated to take actions that benefit their well-being. For instance, it can help build healthy habits!
- A sense of accomplishment. Focusing on the capabilities of individuals can lead to feelings incredible effectiveness and accomplishment.
We believe an integrative approach is the future for longterm health and fitness, joining together multiple pathways to provide a personalized journey to fit freedom! Pulling principles from CBT and positive psychology, we help people develop strengths to overcome the challenges stemming from their negative patterns. Above all, the skills and habits people learn allow them to build a sustainably positive lifestyle where they are in control.
Everything at CBT Meets Fitness was designed to help YOU invest in yourself. With online courses, The Ultimate Journal, workshops and the CERTIFICATION course launching September, you can manage your fitness well-being daily. You’ll be able to not just feel, but see the impact of your habits when you look at yourself in the mirror.
Whether you’re starting your fitness journey, overwhelmed by diets/training, or a fitness professional seeking to learn CBT-Fit skills, CBT MEETS FITNESS is designed for you!